Though many sectors of business have been negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, no other industry has been as devastated as the restaurant industry.
According to the National Restaurant Association, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, & U.S. Census Bureau, as of December 2020, over 110,000 restaurants nationwide were either closed permanently or long term. From February – November 2020 alone, 2.1 million industry jobs were lost, and between March and October 2020, food service and drinking establishments lost an astounding $130 billion in sales compared to the previous year. Additionally, the National Restaurant Association said that in its latest survey of 6,000 restaurant operators, 87 percent of full-service restaurants reported an average 36 percent drop in sales.
In some states, restaurants are able to resume their operations with indoor dining, but it’s been commonplace for owners to find alternative ways of doing business through takeout and delivery.
The effect of covid-19 on kitchen cleanliness.
Though studies show that the virus primarily spreads between people who are in close contact (within about 6 feet) via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person sneezes or coughs, food establishments must take extra precaution to ensure the safety of its workers and guests. Transmission may be possible when a person touches a surface or object that has the virus on it, and then touches his /her own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.
While food safety and hygiene have always been important, it is even more critical for restaurant professionals to take enhanced precautions to keep guests and employees safe. This means mitigating the risk of COVID-19 by understanding the need to implement extra measures for cleaning and sanitizing.
According to the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (NRAEF), there is a huge difference between cleaning and sanitizing. “Cleaning removes food and other types of soil from a surface such as a countertop or plate. Sanitizing reduces the number of pathogens on the clean surface to safe levels.”
As such, pre-pandemic cleaning practices are no longer enough. Investing in consistent commercial kitchen sanitizing and COVID disinfection services are critical to maintain the health and vitality of your restaurant business.
The fda checklist for safely operating during covid-19.
For restaurants previously closed or those that have been open with limited service related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) created a checklist to safely reopen and maintain operations.
Though the list is not entirely comprehensive, the FDA encourages food establishments to partner with local regulatory/health authorities to discuss specific requirements. Here are just a few key elements pertaining to commercial kitchen cleaning and disinfection that must be addressed:
- Are the premises in good order, including fully operational utilities and equipment? (e.g. electrical, lighting, gas services, and proper ventilation; hood systems for fire prevention; garbage and refuse areas; and toilet facilities)
- Are all areas of the food establishment, including restrooms and waiting areas, properly cleaned, stocked, sanitized, or disinfected, as appropriate?
- Are ventilation systems including air ducts and vents in the facility clean, free of mold, and operating properly?
- Are high touch self-service containers and items requiring frequent hand contact removed from use, or appropriately washed, cleaned and sanitized?
Food Contact and Non-food Contact Surfaces (Clean, Disinfect, Sanitize)
- Are necessary sanitizers and disinfectants that meet EPA’s criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2 available and used per label instructions to clean and disinfect the facility during hours of operation?
- Are food contact surfaces and counters cleaned and sanitized? (Wash, rinse, and sanitize food contact surfaces, food preparation surfaces, and beverage equipment after use.)
- Are common use areas such as restrooms being cleaned and disinfected more frequently?
- Are high-touch areas and equipment cleaned and disinfected (e.g. door knobs, display cases, equipment handles, check-out counters, order kiosks, and grocery cart handles)?
- Has a disinfection schedule or routine plan been developed?
Food Temperature Control
- Are all coolers, freezers, and hot and cold holding units clean, sanitized, and protected from contamination?
- Is your warewasher clean and functioning and equipped with detergent and sanitizer (single temperature machine, 165°F) or reaches 180°F rinse (high temperature)?
Offering the best restaurant kitchen cleaning & covid disinection in the area.
With these specific FDA suggestions regarding COVID disinfection in mind, consider us your partner in ensuring the safety and health of your employees and guests.
For nearly 50 years we have provided commercial kitchen cleaning for countless food establishments both in the Northeast and nationwide. Have confidence knowing that we provide the highest level of restaurant cleaning services available.
Here are just a few reasons why we’re the leaders in providing COVID disinfection and restaurant kitchen cleaning services that are reliable, safe, and effective.
- We are industry experts in kitchen cleaning and disinfecting.
We have a reputation in the industry for being meticulous and precise with our work. No surface or germ are safe with our Electrostatic Disinfection practices executed by our highly trained staff of kitchen cleaning professionals who set out to provide the highest level of service. Now more than ever, we take our jobs seriously so that we can deliver you the clean, sanitized, and sparkling results you seek.
From frequently touched surfaces such as cash registers, workstations, sink handles, bathroom stalls to the deep cleaning of kitchen equipment like stoves, sinks, cutting boards, and countertops, we are equipped to clean and disinfect virtually every spot of your kitchen and restaurant.
Given our level of expertise and experience, we can also work closely with your restaurant team to establish a regular disinfection routine and properly train staff on appropriate daily procedures and protocols to ensure safe and correct application and storage of disinfectants.
Proper ventilation in restaurants is also encouraged, and increased circulation of outdoor air can be made possible by opening windows and doors. While this may not be entirely possible during colder winter months in the Northeast, we can assure that all windows and doors are cleaned to the highest level possible.
- The products we use combat COVID.
COVID disinfection is only as effective as the products that are used.
As per the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), we ensure that the cleaning agents we utilize meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate efficacy against the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)
- Demonstrate efficacy against a pathogen that is harder to kill than SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)
- Demonstrate efficacy against a different human coronavirus similar to SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)
Contact us here today to discuss the products we use for our restaurant kitchen cleaning services.
- We follow all safety protocols.
Knowing that restaurant kitchens can be fairly restrictive in space, we continue to follow all required laws, regulations, and rules to ensure the safety of your employees and guests.
We can schedule cleaning services when there are a limited number of people present at the restaurant. And, our team of cleaning professionals will be outfitted in appropriate personal protective equipment such as high grade masks and gloves to get the job done safely and effectively.
- Our team is responsive and available 24/7.
We are equipped and able to handle any emergencies that may arise with your restaurant. If your establishment must be disinfected at the last minute due to contamination with SARS-CoV-2, we can get there quickly and easily.
Known in the industry for our speedy response, we are here to alleviate your worries.
CONNECT WITH US TODAY FOR YOUR COMMERCIAL KITCHEN CLEANING NEEDS.
With the economic devastation from the pandemic continuing to affect restaurants around the country, it is even more critical that businesses stay focused on the safety and well-being of its employees and guests.
We are sympathetic to the concerns of so many restaurant owners. Let us ease some of your worry by ensuring the health and vitality of your restaurant by handling your COVID disinfection and commercial cleaning needs. We offer the most effective virus-combating solutions at budget-conscious prices.
Click here to learn more about our comprehensive cleaning services both in restaurants and in all commercial spaces.
Contact us at 888-673-6010 or click here today to discuss your COVID cleaning needs with the very best in the business!