Commercial Cleaning Services Are Critical in Medical Facilities
Cleaning and disinfection are necessary in all public spaces, but none more so than healthcare facilities and hospitals. Unlike other locations like office buildings or retail stores, cleanliness in medical facilities serve dual functions of providing both surface cleanliness AND infection prevention and control.
Hospitals, clinics, and other medical facilities have very distinct needs, where extra care must be taken. Failure to do so impacts public perception, and at a larger scale can result in the spread of infection and disease. Due to the complexity of sanitation and disinfection that is needed in healthcare environments, you can expect that more thorough attention and focus will be required.
The COVID-19 pandemic has reinforced the importance of being extremely mindful and proactive about the spread of germs, and according to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “Healthcare-associated infections (HAI) are a significant burden globally, with millions of patients affected each year.”
The CDC says that, “Environmental contamination in healthcare settings plays a role in the transmission of HAIs.” This means that no matter the size and scope of the medical facility or hospital, cleaning and disinfection are a fundamental need for infection prevention and control.
Understanding the potentially deadly effects of HAIs
It’s estimated by the CDC that 5% of all hospital admissions result in a healthcare-associated infection. This accounts for approximately 722,000 infections and 75,000 deaths occur each year, and an estimated $28–33 billion in excess costs.
While HAIs can be very severe, they can be avoided all together.
Studies show that HAIs can happen when microorganisms such as bacteria are transferred from the environment to a susceptible host in a variety of ways such as contaminated surfaces and noncritical equipment or between contaminated hands or gloves of healthcare workers. They can occur in all types of medical environments such as clinics, hospitals, doctor’s offices, urgent care and more.
Without the proper care, infections are easily transmittable between things such as medical devices like catheters and ventilators, procedures, patients and healthcare workers.
How to combat HAIs
The multifaceted need for medical facilities to be meticulously cleaned, disinfected and well-maintained on a daily basis means that commercial cleaning services are a must.
A professional cleaning company will have the experience and knowledge to easily manage the complexities that come with maintaining the health and safety of a healthcare facility.
A commercial cleaning service will have experience with the following:
- Disposal of Contaminants: There is so much disposal of waste and other material, it is necessary to work with a company that is proper trained in the disposal of contaminants to prevent the spread of infection.
- Use of Hospital-Grade Disinfectants: Professional cleaners will use hospital-level disinfectants to guarantee a sanitized and germ-free space. These experts will understand protocols and guidelines needed to incorporate these types of cleaning products within your medical facility.
- Understanding and prevention of cross-contamination: A commercial cleaning company for your healthcare space will know how to avoid the cross-contamination between medical equipment, products and people.
- Training and education: A huge component of ensuring the health and safety of your medical facility is making sure there is communication and collaboration across all levels of employees. This means ensuring that training and safety protocols happen regularly within your organization.
- Everyday maintenance: From cleaning highly trafficked spaces like lobbies and offices to deep bathroom cleaning and disinfection, professional cleaners will have the experience to handle all spaces within your medical facility.
- Cleaning a variety of spaces: Extensive experience is a must when it comes to cleaning a major healthcare facility, particularly an expansive hospital. From operating rooms and equipment to kitchens and offices, hospitals are massive in scope.
Rely on ABS for all your healthcare facility cleaning needs
Whether you’re looking to ensure the health and safety of your dentist office, urgent care clinic, veterinarian office or hospital, you can count on ABS to not just meet, but exceed your expectations for both cleanliness and aesthetics, but also infection prevention/control.
We believe that there is nothing as too clean when it comes to a healthcare setting, and take our part in leading this process very seriously.
With nearly 50 years of partnering with healthcare facilities and hospitals of all sizes throughout the country, ABS can create a customized cleaning and disinfection plan to meet your facility’s unique needs. We provide everyday cleaning services such as dusting, vacuuming and trash removal, but are sophisticated enough to oversee the overall health and safety of intricate medical devices, specialty equipment and surgery rooms.
We take our jobs as commercial cleaning specialists seriously so that you don’t have to worry about the spread of germ, bacteria and pathogens.
Reach out and let’s talk about the professional cleaning needs for your hospital or healthcare facility. Your patients’ health and well-being are worth working with the best!